Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Rumsfeldian Grand Strategy

In an interview with Amy Goodman on March 2, 2007, U.S. General Wesley Clark (Ret.), explains that the Bush Administration planned to take out 5 countries in 7 years: Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Lybia, Somalia, Sudan, Iran:

"About 10 days after 9/11, I went to the Pentagon, um, I saw Secretary Rumsfeld and Deputy Secretary Wolfowitz.

I went downstaris to say hello to some of the people on the Joint Staff, who used to work for me, and one of the generals said, 'come in. You gotta come in and talk to me for a sec.'

I said, 'you're too busy.'

'No, no,' he says. 'We made the decision. We're going to war with Iraq!'

This was on or about the 20th of September.

I said, 'we're going to war with Iraq! Why?'

He said, 'I don't know!'

He said, 'I guess they don't know what else to do.'

'So, did they find information connecting Saddam to Al-Qaeda?'

He said, 'no, no. There's nothing new there. They Just made the decision to go to war with Iraq.'

He said, 'It's like we don't know what to do about terrorists, but we got a good military, and we could take down governments.'

So, I came back to see him...By that time, we were bombing Afghanistan.

I said, 'are we still going to war with Iraq?'

And he said, 'It's worse than that!' he said.

He reached over his desk, he picked up a piece of paper.

He said, 'I Just got this from upstairs.' (meaning the Secretary of Defense's Office).

He said, ' Today, this is a memo that describes how we're going to take out 7 countries in 5 years. Starting with Iraq, and then, Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and finishing off, Iran.'"

[Transcribed by me].

The Following Is A Partial Video Clip of The Interview, Between Amy Goodman and Wesley Clark:

No comments: