Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Israel Not Interested In Fair Peace

Hinting Israel Is Not Interested In Fair Peace, Jimmy Carter Said Any Member Of Congress Taking A Balanced Stand On The Arab - Israeli Conflict Risks 'Political Suicide'

Yitzhak Benhorin
Published: 02.26.07, 03:57 /
Israel News
YnetNews

"I don't see any present prospect that any member of the US Congress, the House or Senate, would say, "Let's take a balanced position between Israel and the Palestinians and negotiate a peace agreement," said Former US President Jimmy Carter in an interview to the ABC network on

..."It's almost politically suicidal in the United States for a member of the Congress who wants to seek reelection to take any stand that might be interpreted as anti- policy of the conservative Israeli government, which is equated, as I've seen it myself, as anti-Semitism."

Carter reiterated that he felt his book ["Palestine: Peace, Not Apartheid"] "accurately describes what's going on in the West Bank," and said that he did not regret writing it.

..."The book is necessary. I think this book will make…a little step toward, first of all, precipitating a debate or an open discussion about what's going on in Palestine. Secondly, I hope it will be a little factor in renewing the abandoned effort to bring about a peace agreement between Israel and its neighbors."

When asked if he was being too hard on Israel, Carter said, "My honest opinion is that a strong majority of Israelis agree with me. Secondly, I believe a clear majority of American Jewish citizens agree with me that Israel must exchange Palestinian land for peace."

...Carter said he still hopes for peace, "If I have had one burning desire in my heart and mind for the last 30 years, I would put peace for Israel at the top of the list.… And commensurate with that has to be justice and human rights for the Palestinians next door. And I believe this book… will contribute to accomplishing that goal."

No comments: