Saturday, December 31, 2005

Drowning Your Troubles

--I have often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my wife to go swimming--
(President Jimmy Carter)

--I have orders to be awakened at any time in case of a national emergency. Even if I'm
in a cabinet meeting-- (President Ronald Reagan)

--I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived--
(Winston Churchill)

--Lady Astor to Churchill: Winston, if you were my husband, I would flavour your coffee
with poison.
Churchill: Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink--

--Bessie Braddock to Churchill: Winston you're drunk!
Churchill: Bessie, you're ugly, and tomorrow morning I shall be sober--

--British Politics,
the difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this:
If Gladstone fell into the Thames, it would be a misfortune.
but if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity--
(Benjamin Disraeli)