Monday, November 21, 2005

'Hassan's Seranade'
by-James Elroy Flecker
(1915)

how splendid in the morning glows
the lily, with what grace he trows
his supplication to the rose:
do roses nod their head, yasmin?

but when the silver dove descends
I find the little flower of friends
whose very name that sweetly ends
I say when I have said, yasmin.

the morning light is clear and cold
I dare not in that light behold
a deeper light, a deeper gold
a glory too far shed, yasmin.

but when the deep red eye of day
is level with the lone highway
and some to Mecca turn to pray
and I toward thy bed, yasmin.

or when the wind beneath the moon
is dazzling like a soul aswoon
and harping planets talk love's tune.
with milky wings outspread, yasmin.

shine down thy love, o burning bright!
for one night or the other night
will come the gardner in white
and gather'd flowers are dead, yasmin!

No comments: